Marketing & Communications Coordinator, Term Position (Parental Leave)
September 3rd, 2018 – February 28th, 2019, with intent to extend to August 31st, 2019
Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia Cooperative is seeking a skilled individual for the term position of Marketing & Communications Coordinator. We are looking for an individual who is talented in marketing strategy and social media management as well as content creation and copy writing. The individual must hold strong organizational skills, be self-motivated and have a passion for farmers’ market and the buy local movement. The position will begin as a six-month term, with intent to extend to August 31st, 2019. This position is made possible through an employment grant program and, as such, is subject to specific eligibility criteria as outlined below.
The Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia Cooperative (FMNS) aims to build the capacity of farmers’ markets and their member businesses through professional development, innovation, research, province wide marketing, and advocacy.
Since 2004, FMNS has been working on behalf of farmers’ markets and their vendors, producers and artisans. Created by markets for markets, we serve the needs of our member markets and their vendors while also acting to inform, inspire, and advocate for the farmers’ markets movement to the Nova Scotian public.
The primary responsibilities of this position are:
- Marketing Strategy
- Social Media Management
– on-going management of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts including content creation and content curation
- Communications & E-Newsletter
– management of Farmers’ Market Sector E-Newsletter from monthly writing to audience segmenting and building, sale of resources, etc
- Copy Writing
– marketing content such as member recruitment brochures, website text, etc.
– social media and print media printing
- Media Relations & Communication
– liaison between vendor businesses and local media to facilitate “good news coverage”
- Management of Friends Of Sponsorship Program
– onboarding local business sponsors
– engaging local business sponsors in our public-facing marketing
- Website Management
The Marketing & Communications Coordinator will report to, and work closely with, the Executive Director. The Marketing & Communications Coordinator will also collaborate with and support contractors hired to complete related projects as well as partners/sponsors.
QUALITIES, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
The qualities, skills and experience required for this position are:
- social media strategy and management
- copywriting and content creation across a range of media (eNewsletter, social media, press release);
- basic website/Wordpress familiarity and skills;
- media experience and/or contacts are an asset;
- self-motivated, able to work independently;
- experience in working collaboratively as a small team and/or in the non-profit sector;
- an interest in local production and the buy local movement.
Photography and videography, including video editing, are an asset.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE TO BE GAINED
The skills and experience to be gained in this position are:
- a deepening of marketing skills and experience including strategy, social media management, copywriting, videography and photography, and media relations;
- project management;
- e-newsletter strategy, writing and management;
- non-profit sector and membership/cooperative mandate.
TERMS OF CONTRACT
This position is made possible through an employment initiative. As such, to be eligible for this position, you must be
- a Canadian post-secondary graduate, and
- 30 years or younger as of September 3rd, 2018, and
- Must not have participated in any other Youth Employment Strategy programs (ie. Career Focus), and
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Location: Our Executive Director works from a home office in rural Pictou County and while proximity to the Executive Director is an asset, it is not required. This hired individual will work remotely from their own home office or other workspace available to them in their community. An online coworking system will be used to maintain regular communication between the Executive Director and Market & Communications Coordinator.
Start Date: Monday, September 3rd, 2018. This position is a six-month term ending February 28th 2019, with intent to renew at that time for an additional six months.
Hours: 20hr/wk. Occasional weekend hours will be required (i.e. farmers’ market visits).
Travel: Expect to travel within the province occasionally. Overnight travel will be rare. Access to a vehicle will be required with mileage reimbursed at $.40/km.
TO APPLY Please email a cover letter and resume, including 2 references, to Keltie Butler at FMNS@farmersmarketsnovascotia.ca. Please submit your application in the form of a single pdf document with all required elements included and in the following order: cover letter, resume, references. Supporting documents to illustrate technical skills and/or experience in relevant areas such as photography, videography, graphic design, social media, etc. are required.
DUE DATE: Applications will be reviewed as submitted. Applications will be accepted until July 22nd, 2018 (midnight).
Thank you to all applicants for their time and interest. Short-listed applicants will be contacted, with interviews scheduled for late July.
Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia (FMNS) is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, First Nations, and persons with disabilities. Diversity is a value of FMNS and, moreover, diversity in the farmers’ market community is a strength that must be cultivated.