Resumes accepted from Monday April 16th to Monday May 7th 2012.
Yarmouth Farmers’ Community Market located at 15 Hawthorn St., lower level in Yarmouth, is looking for an energetic, passionate,food savvy individual with great organizational, marketing, promotional and people skills to join our market team.
The Market Manager will play a key role in carrying out the ‘core values’ of the Market and in its development to build a multi-day market.
This position commences upon hire as a part-time position of 20-30 hours per week at an hourly starting rate of $13/hr leading to $15./hr. You must be available to work independently from either your home office or market office and available to work on market day, currently Saturdays from 7:30 am to 2pm. and Wednesdays 8:30am to 4pm (from June through September) You must also be available to meet with vendors at the market during market off hours.
This candidate must be proficient in written and oral communications, as well as can demonstrate ability to create promotional/marketing materials using off the shelf software tools.
Experience with use of social networking tools and updating of web contents would be an asset.
This position reports to the President of the Market.
Yarmouth Farmers’ Community Market – Market Manager Position Summary:
The role of the Market Manager within the Yarmouth Farmers’ Market organization is critical to the success, sustainability and growth of the market.
The Market Manager is accountable to the President of the Market, and is tasked to carry out the activities needed for the market’s operation or in combination with assigned support members/volunteers.
Market Manager Roles and Responsibilities
Yearly/Seasonal Start up Duties:
- Recruit new vendors, retention of existing vendors
- Monitor compliance with relevant regulations and codes
- Secure and maintain necessary market/vendor permits
- Keep producers updated regarding competition
- Maintain stall/table assignments
- Review the budget and work with Treasurer to maintain records of expenses and revenue
- Make sure vendor forms are up to date, completed and retained
Daily Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate opening and closing of the market
- Assist at stalls/tables when necessary
- Enforce the bylaws
- Handle emergencies and complaints
- Serve as the quality control person for produce and craft items as well as for the markets general appearance and cleanliness
- Maintain an information booth, guest book, recipe postings, etc. ‘
- Keep daily market log
- Hold vendor meetings as necessary
- Must be physically capable of lifting up to 50lbs consistently
- Must be physically able to stand/walk during the times that the Market is open for business 4-5 hours.
Communications and Networking Tasks:
- Represent the market with community members and growers
- Develop positive relationship with vendors
- Work with vendor education with merchandising, pricing and other
- Maintain the website,weekly newsletter and social media sites
- Maintain communications with town and county officials, health department, site owner, and others connected to market
- Build positive customer relations
- Follow instructions and maintain communications with the board of directors
- Work with the board with fund raising
- Work with the board to provide input into strategic planning
Promotion and Advertising Duties:
- Create an annual calendar of events
- Develop promotional strategy and implementation plan, budget
- Represent the market to the media and provide media coverage
- Maintain the website, social media sites
- Establish an advertising budget
- Interest and skills in sustainable/local agriculture and food
- Proficient written and oral communication skills
- Leadership : decisive , responsible, self motivated , mature
- Community connections
- Organizing skills
- Natural commitment to the concept of the market, local food and direct marketing.
- Time to commit fully to the job
- Management skills
- Knowledge of farmers market management/or eagerness to learn
- Conflict resolution skills
- Volunteer recruitment and retention
- Proficient computer skills in working with spreadsheet, word processing, basic accounting and social networking site development.